Advanced security features, that some of UTM manufacturers integrate into their solutions may include Application Control, Web Application Firewall, Reverse Proxy, Wireless Security, DLP (Data Leak Prevention), etc.
Considering the fact that all modules are integrated within a single appliance, this leads to their better connectivity and higher throughput of the entire system, compared to the traditional concept which combines independent, multi-vendor products to achieve the same result.
The primary market for UTM are small (less than 100) and medium (between 100 and 1000 employees) environments, so called SMB (Small or Midsize Businesses). Such environments generally do not have high budgets allocated for IT security projects and usually lack IT staff highly specialized and trained in the field of network security. UTM solution for SMB segments provides advantages both from financial and technical point of view:
• With the purchase of only one solution from one vendor, company will cover almost all of their network security needs. In addition, most UTM manufacturers provide customers with the flexible licensing options, where company can buy only those functional modules that are really necessary for their IT security infrastructure.
• Administration and configuration of all security features is done from a single administrative point, usually via GUI (Graphical User Interface) administrative console.
• Tracking, monitoring, updating and upgrading is done only over a single system/solution.
• Reporting about the status and statistics of all security features and modules can be combined into a single report. Centralized logging of all security events makes it easier to achieve regulatory compliance with the standards that are required in certain industries (PCI-DSS, HIPAA, GLBA, SOX…).
• There is only a single line of support. In case of technical or licensing questions, as well as any functional problems, customer communicates only with a single vendor support.